Rep. Sally Kern responds to criticism over anti-gay hate speech

This is an update to an earlier post

I just got this via email from Rena (of Peacearena) and thought I would pass it on …

Oklahoma House of Representatives
Media Division
March 10, 2008

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Contact: State Rep. Sally Kern

Capitol: (405) 557-7348

Kern Responds to Activist Criticisms

OKLAHOMA CITY – State Rep. Sally Kern (R-Oklahoma City) issued the following statement today in response to the criticisms of homosexual activists who have objected to a recent speech she gave on their efforts to promote their agenda at both the federal and state level.

“To put this simply, as a Christian I believe homosexuality is not moral. Obviously, you have the right as an American to choose that lifestyle, but I also have the right to express my views and my fellow Oklahomans have the right to debate these issues.

“In recent years homosexual activists have begun to aggressively promote their agenda through the political process, often providing substantial financing to candidates who agree with their views, including many running for state legislative races. National publications such as Time, The Atlantic and USA Today have noted that trend. That is their right, just as it is my right to voice opposition to their agenda, which I have been asked to do at several public forums in recent months. That’s what democracy is all about. It appears some homosexual activists believe only one group is allowed a voice in this debate. I disagree.

“A vigorous debate on an issue is not ‘hate speech’ – it’s free speech. I have made clear my opposition to the agenda of homosexual activists, but I have never endorsed or supported any hateful action targeting individuals on the other side of this debate and never will. The fact that many gay rights activists claim anyone opposing their agenda is engaging in ‘hate speech’ says more about them than me.

“Most Oklahomans are socially conservative and believe marriage is a sacred institution, the union of one man and one woman, and that the traditional family is worth protecting and preserving. When I campaigned for office, I promised my constituents to stand up for those values, and I do not apologize for keeping my word.”

-30-

I am struck by Rep. Kern’s use of the phrase “homosexual activists,” which she used FOUR times in her brief press release. She seems to be forgetting that many of us (including myself) who are speaking out against her hate speech are not homosexuals.

In fact, it seems like she is yet again using stereotypes to drive home her prejudiced point. Instead of recognizing that many people, both straight and gay, are opposed to anti-gay hate, she is trying to make it sound like that this is only the action of “homosexual activists” who are engaged in the great “homosexual agenda.”

But let me just make this clear as a heterosexual believer in LGBT rights, I’m not promoting a “homosexual agenda,” but rather the belief that all human beings are equal in the eyes of God and should be seen as equal in the eyes of the law and society too.

11 Responses to “Rep. Sally Kern responds to criticism over anti-gay hate speech”

1. Steven M. says:

Sally Kern just pissed off the internet, and it is now killing her career in one quick sweep.

2. huh says:

GAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

3. Sooner No More says:

Dear JMB,

This full-fledged homosexual thanks you from the bottom of his big, pink heart.

(For the record, I support the civil rights of heterosexuals, too.)

I heart you.

Greg
    Austin, TX

4. frederick says:

[Left unapproved due to content.

well as far as free speech go and the above comments re:so you are a biggot sally kern,dont hide behind god,religion,crap.shut your mouth.walk a mile in my pumps.then bitch.you are nothing but a coward,biggoted,person.not human,soul less freak.get a gay in your life.

5. Hmmm, I think ‘homosexual activists’ can be used along the same lines as ‘environmental activists’, meaning that if I can be an activist without being a ‘homosexual’ or an ‘environmental’.

Therefore, your point that she is calling everyone that is against her a homosexual is off base.
    Other than that, Kern can say whatever she wants and the voters can get rid of her at the next election. If she does something illegal, then she can be removed earlier.

6. Josh Rubin says:

I just heard the recording of Rep. Kern’s statements about homosexuality and about religions other than her own.

The state of Oklahoma is about to become the laughing-stock of the nation, unless other Oklahoma leaders act fast.

I am delighted to live in a country where Rep. Kern is free to make these statements, and I am also delighted that hundreds of thousands of people are about to ridicule them. The only way to prevent more harm to Oklahoma is to challenge the ignorance behind her statements.

What is she is talking about? What societies have “totally embraced homosexuality” and what does that mean? How did it bring about their downfall?

Who is “going after 2 year-olds?” Does she know the difference between pedophilia and homosexuality?

In what way is homosexuality worse than terrorism?

Why does she hate Islam? Does she know anything about it?

The ridicule is starting! I just heard Wanda Sykes say on the Ellen DeGeneres show that she hopes Sally Kern moves up in government. If gays are more dangerous than terrorists, maybe she will remove the troops from Iraq and invade West Hollywood.

7. Amy says:

And the best part of it all is the fact that her own son is GAY!!!!! This woman is so clearly steeped in ignorance, it is almost painful to watch…Almost.

8. Ron B says:

Her son is not gay. That is a smear campaign from…guess who.
    God according to His scripture does not love the unrepentant sinner.
    Read the bible, study His Word. It’s all there.

Hebrews 10:26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” and again, “The Lord will judge his people.” It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

We all have a choice laid before us. Reject or Revere Christ.

Sometimes the Truth is a hard teaching.

9. Outraged Oklahoman says:

Ron B.

I want to thank you for choosing that passage, as I find it extremely tasteful. You and your kind make the mistake of pretending to know God’s mind through the reading of that book of yours. Let me spell something out for you:

Even the Christian God doesn’t allow for the persecution of another. Even the Christian God says, “Let he without sin cast the first stone.” I am led to believe that casting the first stone includes quoting verses that you think condemn others in a public forum. She had no right to cast her stone- unless the idea of Free Speech written in a Constitution supercedes the Bible. I don’t think that you would pick the Constitution over the Bible. Then stop your hateful judgement on others and keep your mouth shut.

While I belive that Free Speech is a power we are all entitled to, and so excersize here, one of the few things that outrages me more than Sally Kern’s hateful mannerisms and horrible ways would have to be the way that some Christians believe that quoting the Bible to their own means is anything less than cowardly. You did not quote the passage where homosexuality is condemned; instead the passage where it mentions that the person who continually sins can look forward to judgement of God.

You judge us here- yours is not God’s place, and how dare you presume otherwise.

10. C.Matt McKnight says:

I am amazed to hear your stance, you need to resign now, or eventually I believe you will be forced out. An elected official getting paid from out tax dollars, should represent all of their community, this is wrong. Being that Rep Kern is married to a “Man of God ” a Minister it would only make sense that she is accustomed to living off of others, and behaving in a narcissist.
    Everyone needs to pray for her, for she is the one lost.