I am writing this post for members and friends of the Oklahoma chapter of the National Lawyers Guild. Please feel free to share this elsewhere. I think it may be timely given recent overreaction of OKC police to peaceful protest activities against the Keystone XL Pipeline.
Things to remember when being questioned by the police
1. It is legal for the police to lie to you to get you to talk. The cops will often tell people that “we are just trying to help your friend. If you can tell us what you know, your friend won’t get in trouble.” Don’t believe it.
2. But, it is illegal for you to lie to the police. And yes they can and will prosecute you for this (even though they can lie to you with impunity).
3. Thankfully it is legal to refuse to talk to the police.
4. If the police come to your door and do not have a warrant, you do not have to let them. The best thing to do is not even open the door.
5. If the police are insistent that you talk to them, tell them you need to talk to your attorney first. Ask for their business card and tell them you will have your attorney contact them. And then contact us at the Oklahoma NLG for assistance in finding an attorney.
A more detailed discussion of these issues can be found in the National Lawyers Guild brochure – You have the right to remain silent